The AHA has initiated a number of innovative programs in recent years, including being the first housing authority to use a mortgage, approved by HUD, to construct an administrative building and the issuance of housing revenue bonds to local affordable housing providers for the renovation and improvement of aging stock. The issuance of housing revenue bonds aids Athens Clarke County by ensuring that there is a supply of affordable housing stock that is well maintained and an asset to the community.
Although the properties are neither owned nor managed by the Athens Housing Authority, we have played a role in the renovation or development of the following properties:
- The historic Georgian Hotel in downtown Athens;
- Clarke Gardens and Athens Gardens affordable multi-family complexes;
- Oak Hill, an apartment community designed for working families;
- East Campus Village at the University of Georgia
- Technical and financial assistance for Fourth Street Village
To further increase homeownership opportunities and community development, we have worked closely with other affordable housing organizations in Athens. Often, in older neighborhoods, it is difficult to ascertain clear ownership of a property. Legally, we are able to resolve land ownership issues and in that way have assisted the Athens Land Trust with the purchase of property for their homeownership programs.