US Treasury's Rent Payment Assistance is Available
Information for Tenants:

The U.S. Department of Treasury’s (“Treasury”) Emergency Rental Assistance (ERA) program
makes funding available to assist households that are unable to pay rent or utilities. The funds
were provided directly to states, U.S. territories, local governments, and (in the case of the first
program, ERA1) to Indian tribes or Tribally Designated Housing Entities, as applicable, and the
Department of Hawaiian Home Lands. Grantees use the funds to assist eligible households
through existing or newly created rental assistance programs.

In guidance and FAQs, Treasury advised that participants in HUD-assisted rental programs
(including the Housing Choice Voucher (HCV), Public Housing, or Project-Based Rental
Assistance programs) are eligible for the ERA program and may receive assistance for the
tenant-owed portion of rent or utilities that is not subsidized. In FAQs for PHAs and HCV
landlords, PIH clarified that this assistance can include rent arrearages and utilities owed over
the utility allowance. The FAQs include additional guidance on interim reexaminations, income
calculations, and additional considerations for private landlords participating in the HCV

To learn more about how to apply for ERA go to

State and local ERA grantees can also be accessed from Treasury’s website using the link “Findrental assistance in your area.”

Additional information:

The 30-day notification of lease termination due to nonpayment of rent is in effect due to the national emergency.